4 February 2008
"This (noun) is cheap!"
- Mr. Stubborn's catchphrase
Mr. Stubborn is a new Mr. Men created for The Mr. Men Show as a counterpart to the books' Little Miss Stubborn. He is voiced by stand-up comedian Godfrey in the US version, and Lewis MacLeod in the UK and Australia version.
- Colour: Purple
- Shape: Oval
- Personality: Stubborn, Bossy, Arrogant, Deceitful, Selfish, Pompous, Disrespectful
- Lives: Dillydale
- Friends: Mr. Messy (sometimes), Little Miss Daredevil (sometimes), Mr. Quiet (sometimes), Mr. Nosey (sometimes), Mr. Small (sometimes), Mr. Happy (sometimes) and Little Miss Sunshine (sometimes), Mr. Bump (sometimes).
- Rivals: Mr. Quiet (sometimes), Mr. Bump (sometimes), Mr. Grumpy, Little Miss Calamity, Little Miss Scary, Mr. Fussy, Mr. Rude, Little Miss Helpful, Little Miss Magic, Mr. Noisy, Little Miss Chatterbox, Little Miss Giggles, Mr. Scatterbrain, Mr. Bounce, Mr. Tickle, Little Miss Whoops, Little Miss Naughty, Mr. Happy, Little Miss Sunshine, Mr. Nervous, Mr. Small, Mr. Funny, Mr. Tall, Mr. Nosey, Mr. Lazy, Mr. Messy, Mr. Strong, Little Miss Daredevil, and Little Miss Bossy.
- Likes: Being stubborn on one point of view till the bitter end, his own different opinion, Beanburgers, Beanballs, assuming that other people are wrong, driving badly, candy (sweets in the UK version), winning games, ignoring people's advice and doing things his own way, talking/turning back, ranting/raving, causing grips/ruses + frustration/humiliation through either his outrageous ideas or his fascination with the mundane ruining everything, bullying/lying/stealing/framing/kidnapping people, victimizing himself, being irresponsible/immature, being a jerk/idiot, being ignorant and oblivious to or taking massive advantage of others, breaking rules (likes to make the rules, but thinks he's too good to actually follow them himself), not learning from his mistakes, lacking empathy and common sense, failing to notice or get the point, holding contempt and/or taking drastic measures with all his imperfections, anger issues, +/ unnecessary drama in order to solve his problems depending on the plan/plots, outcomes/obstacles, trials/tribulations, reactions/responses, sights/sounds, etc.
- Dislikes: Telling the truth, listening to other people especially when they try to give him good advice, hearing complaints, being tickled by Mr. Tickle, being told what to do by other people, when cafés and restaurants don't sell any beanburgers and beanballs, not winning games, things that he breaks by touching them and calls them either cheap or fake, being told what to do by other people on his job, Little Miss Scary scaring him, Mr. Rude and his farting gas and his bad manners, Mr. Bump's accidents, Little Miss Whoops' accidents, Little Miss Calamity's calamities, Little Miss Chatterbox's constant non-stop talking, Little Miss Naughty's pranks, Little Miss Bossy's bossy, selfish and arrogant behavior, Mr. Happy's happiness and smiles, Little Miss Sunshine's innocence, Mr. Small's small size, Mr. Nosey's nosiness, Mr. Funny's funny antics, Mr. Lazy's laziness and constant sleeping, Mr. Noisy's noisiness, Mr. Quiet's quietness, Mr. Fussy and his different opinions, Mr. Grumpy because they get along poorly, Mr. Bounce's constant bouncing, Mr. Strong's strength and low intelligence, Mr. Scatterbrain's bad memory, Mr. Tall's tall legs, Little Miss Magic's faulty magic tricks, Mr. Messy's messiness, Little Miss Daredevil's Boogie Boots, Little Miss Giggles's constant laughter, Mr. Nervous's cowardice and interest in innocent things, and Little Miss Helpful's faulty advice.
- Jobs: Being a stubborn person just because he never agrees/empathizes/partners with, covers/apologizes/stands up for whether he is wrong about everything and anything or not and thinks everyone else is wrong even though he is the one who is always wrong, Steamroller Operator (in the episode, Jobs), Bus Driver (in the episode, Getting Around), Handyman (in the episode, Home Improvement) and a Secretary (in the episode Sneezes and Hiccups)
- Nationality: Scottish (UK) Nigerian (US)
- Catchphrase(s): "This/That/Your/My [noun] is/was CHEAP!", "This/That/Your/My [noun] is/was DEFINITELY CHEAP!", "This Website is CHEAP!" (on the website) "How many times do I have to tell you? I do not have termites!" (used in Bugs), There is no such thing as (mythical creature)!, "The (mythical creature) does not exist!" "We are not (doing something)!"
Mr. Stubborn was made for The Mr. Men Show as a counterpart for Little Miss Stubborn from the books as executive producer Eryk Casemiro stated that the female characters in the series should remain mostly positive.  He is a purple oval-shaped Mr. Man with two black hairs in the style of a comb-over, a unibrow, and a yellow triangle-shaped nose. He never listens to good advice and to prove it: he is always too touchy and stubborn to admit whether or not if he was either ever right or wrong about anything and everything; he often assumes others are idiots, dummies, or just annoying pieces of crap, even when it is obvious that he is wrong (in fact, he appears to be rather ironic, oblivious, gratuitous, ridiculous, impossible, and hypocritical of the thoughts/feelings/acts he is/has/does going on in or around, out and about him, specially in his mind or in his eyes). But even if he finds out he's wrong, realizing he should have listened to and/or believed in other people/characters in the first place rather than telling them to shut up, he's still unable to accept the reality of his blunder and doesn't admit it. If possible, he misuses items and after they break or if he breaks the things that he touches, he thinks that they're cheap and also even remarks that they are cheap.
Mr. Stubborn is a touchy, stubborn, intolerant, blunt, feisty, bland, unlikable, indomitable, problematic-symptomatic, deniable, skeptical, unreliable, biased, practical/unethical, and obtuse person who never adapts to any kinds of change whatsoever. By doing this, he will constantly annoy and antagonize, pick on + make fun of, objectify/silence, or just tell other people off, often over very minor details or for other petty reasons, and make them suffer his differences of opinion and/or occasional instances of inconsiderate, obnoxious, thoughtless behavior which can even sometimes lead to him being responsible for mass destruction, the pain of others, +/ every once in awhile blaming them for actions that was not responsible for. He has a catchphrase which he uses to call something cheap which he uses in almost all of his appearances. It will always be along the lines of "This _____ is cheap!" and the name of the thing he's calling cheap will always change depending on what he's talking about.
Mr. Stubborn is insufferable, like talking to a wall, and unstoppable when he made up his mind. He has had his moments in which he simply went to double-check statements and was happy learning it was right in Mr. Men and Little Miss. However, he merely doubted a fact and was not convinced of another truth, which is mostly the situation where his attribute comes out the strongest. Mr. Stubborn has had their trait turned up so strongly that there is no way to interact with the character without getting into a dispute. He is aggressive, destructive (and strong at that!) and short-off in his speech. Whenever faced with some sort of argument that gets in the way of his views, he stated that that something is "cheap". A lot of his disputes are about where he does not listen to or believe in other people's opinion or suggestions, insists on doing this his way or no way, and is far too stubborn to ever admit he's wrong, like arguing that one must stop believing what one sees in movies for example. Other times he is convinced he knows how to do a certain thing without following tutorials, advice or even the law. "Positive" character approach him with a certain humor, knowing fully well he is not going to budge. But even them and other characters often get really tired of him to give a really hard time having only one occasion where he is often shown being in the background without giving in; it heavily depends on the "aggressor" and "victim" format to have a character trait overthrow another. Mr. Stubborn however is always both an "aggressor" as his OWN "victim". He is the only character to be able to do so, making him the most "powerful" character of the cast. Because of all of these omnicidal characteristics he has, Mr. Stubborn believes himself to be the self-proclaimed omniscient all-powerful god of Dillydale, making all of the other characters his extremely lowly servants. Mr. Stubborn is seldom nice to others, is always despising and very brutal towards them, and (more often than not) has a crazy temper of damaging other people's property (whether it's either accidently or intentionally) at least most likely due to his peculiar and potentially harmful lifestyle.
- First appearance: Boo Boos
- According to Godfrey in an Instagram livestream, Mr. Stubborn's tendency to call everything "cheap" was his idea.
- Godfrey would use the same accent and tone he used for Mr. Stubborn for the character Kofi Pizza in Steven Universe, which debuted four years after The Mr. Men Show ceased production.
- The characters he has the most conflicts with are Mr. Grumpy and Little Miss Chatterbox.
- He has had mistakes concerning his hair:
- In the episode, Sneezes and Hiccups, when he is sick, his nose is pink instead of yellow and his two hairs are crooked.
- In the episode, Night, Mr. Stubborn turns into a werewolf at a full moon but in the episode Full Moon, he shows no sign of being a werewolf.
- He has a very strong sneeze and sneezed a whole building down in the episode, Sneezes & Hiccups.
- He didn't appear in the episodes Physical, Cooking, Hobbies, Clocks, Trees & Goo.
- In the episode, Ships and the episode, Boats, he is referred many times as Captain Stubborn.
- His ship, the SS Stubborn, has sunken twice, the first time in Boats and the second in Ships, with its sinking being investigated in Out to Sea.
In other languages
- Monsieur Têtu
- Senhor Teimoso
- See Counterparts Wiki.
|The Mr. Men Show Characters|
|Season 1 Characters|
Little Miss Sunshine • Little Miss Naughty • Little Miss Scary • Mr. Lazy • Mr. Nervous • Mr. Messy • Mr. Quiet • Mr. Stubborn • Little Miss Helpful • Mr. Bounce • Mr. Small • Little Miss Chatterbox • Mr. Per(s)nickety (Mr. Fussy in Season 2) • Mr. Grumpy • Mr. Nosey • Mr. Scatterbrain • Mr. Happy • Mr. Bump • Mr. Rude • Little Miss Whoops • Mr. Noisy • Little Miss Calamity (Season 1 Only) • Little Miss Daredevil • Mr. Strong • Mr. Tickle