10 August 1971
The story was originally based on this question by his son, Adam Hargreaves, who asked what a tickle would look like in the story.
- 1 About Him
- 2 Story
- 3 History
- 4 International publications & translations
- 5 List of characters
- 6 Title character other appearances
- 7 The Mr. Men Show
- 8 Trivia
- 9 Episodes Where Mr. Tickle tickled People
- 10 Quotes
- 11 Gallery
- 12 External links
- Colour: Orange
- Shape: Round
- Gender: Male
- Hair: None
- Family: None
- Species: Shape
- Personality: Boisterous, Noisy, Energetic, Cheerful, Unruly, Disorderly, Disruptive, Hard to Discipline, Uncontrollable, Amused, Fun-seeking
- Friends: Mr. Bump, Mr. Scatterbrain, Little Miss Chatterbox, Mr. Grumpy (one-sided), Little Miss Giggles.
- Rivals: Little Miss Trouble, Little Miss Scary, Little Miss Bad, Mr. Grumpy (one-sided).
- Loves: Everything
- Likes: Tickling, making people happy, biscuits (as shown in his story).
- Dislikes: Getting his arms tangled up, not tickling, onions (because they make him cry), getting tickled, darkness, Little Miss Scary, ants (revealed in Bugs)
- Job: Tickling people
- Features: Blue bowler hat and long arms
- Residence: Happyland (book series), Dillydale (2008 show only)
- Nationality: Irish (UK) Tamachi-American (US) Italian-American (Unknown)
- Voice Actors: Arthur Lowe (1975-1978), John Alderton (1983), Gordon Peters (Mr. Men and Little Miss, UK), Len Carlson (Mr. Men and Little Miss, US dub), Unknown Voice Actor (Emme/Hyptinque software series, circa 2003), Jeff Stewart (The Mr. Men Show, US), Rob Rackstraw (The Mr. Men Show, UK dub)
Mr. Tickle's story begins in his bedroom. He wakes up in his bed and has a quick bite to eat, using his extraordinarily long arms to get a cookie from the kitchen and go back to eat it.
He then decides that it is a great day to go tickling, so he goes out to town tickling people - a teacher, a policeman, a greengrocer, a station guard, a doctor, a butcher and a postman and many more. He causes a lot of chaos in the process of doing this.
Mr. Tickle goes back to his home at the end of the day to reflect upon and laugh about all the people he tickled. The book ends with a good warning that Mr. Tickle could be lurking around anywhere, even your doorway, waiting to tickle you all.
The character of Mr. Tickle was created when a 6-year-old Adam Hargreaves, asked, "What does a tickle look like?" Like all Mr. Men, Mr. Tickle has a simplistic look. He is orange with long wiggly arms and a small blue hat.
He appeared in Mr. Men and Little Miss in the first episode.
In 2001, for the 30th anniversary of the Mr. Men, Mr. Tickle's book was released as a collector's edition hardback. It included a foreword from Adam Hargreaves.
His appearance changed in The Mr. Men Show, but changed back to the original one afterwards.
International publications & translations
Mr. Tickle appears under the titles:
- Monsieur Chatouille (French)
- Don Cosquillas (Spanish)
- Mr. Goglais (Welsh)
- Unser Herr Killekille (German)
- Meneertje Kietel (Dutch)
- Ο Κύριος Γαργαλίτσας (Greek)
- 搔癢先生 (Taiwan)
- 간지럼씨 (Korean)
- Fætter Kilderik (Danish)
- Gubben Killekill (Swedish)
- מר דיגידוג (Hebrew)
- Mr. Csiki (Hungarian)
- Signor Solletico (Italian)
- コチョコチョくん (Japanese)
- Domnul Gâdilici (Romanian)
- Мистер Щекатун (Russian)
- Herr Kilefant (Norwegian)
- Senhor Cócegas (Portuguese)
- السيد داغداغ (Alsayyed Daghdagh) (Arabic)
- Pan Łaskotkiewicz (Polish)
- คุณล้อเล่น (Thai)
- Gospоdin Golicavko (Господин Голицавко) (Serbian)
List of characters
This is a list of Mr. Men, Little Miss and other special characters that appear in this book.
Title character other appearances
This is a list of other books that the title character has appeared in.
- Mr. Grumpy
- Mr. Tall (was a notable character)
- Mr. Slow
- Mr. Brave
- Mr. Cheerful (With a green hat)
- Mr. Marvelous
- Mr. No (With a green hat)
- Little Miss Trouble
- Little Miss Shy
- Little Miss Scatterbrain
- Little Miss Contrary
- Little Miss Somersault (With a green hat again)
- Little Miss Yes (With a green hat for the last time)
- Little Miss Magic
- Little Miss Sparkle
- Mr. Tickle and the Dragon (A book with him as the star)
- Mr. Tickle In a Tangle (A book with him as the star)
- The Joke Is On Little Miss Naughty (TV) (was seen with Mr. Tall)
- Mr. Funny Puts on a Show (TV)
- Little Miss Sunshine Brings A Smile (TV)
- Mr. Bounce Finds Paradise (TV) (was with Mr. Tall again)
- Mr. Tickle Saves The Day (TV) (His own episode of the 1995 cartoon)
- Mr. Cheerful Doffs His Hat (TV)
- A Very Happy Day For Mr. Happy (TV) (Cameo)
- Mr. Chatterbox and the Parrot (TV) (Cameo)
- Mr. Noisy the Music Man (TV) (Cameo)
- Little Miss Helpful Goes To The Fair (TV)
- Mr. Clever Flies His Kite (TV)
- Mr. Bump Has an Accident (TV)
- Mr. Small Finds a Job (TV)
- Little Miss Shy Goes to the Fair (TV)
- Mr. Jelly Goes Time Travelling (TV)
- Mr. Skinny's Incredible Bet (TV)
- Little Miss Late Beats Them All (TV) (with Mr. Tall for the fourth time, counting Mr. Tall's book)
- The Christmas Letter (TV) (Cameo)
The Mr. Men Show
In The Mr. Men Show, Mr. Tickle remains relatively the same in looks, he kept his orange colour and blue bowler hat but his shape has changed to a circle and is smaller. His arms are now of a normal size (but can stretch out when needed) and his hat has an aqua ribbon around it and is floating above his head.
He however, tickles other Mr. Men and Little Misses due to the absence of humans in Dillydale. As far as character traits goes, he is still determined to tickle everyone he interacts with, but instead of doing it for mischief, he does it to make people happy and will stop when nobody wants him to tickle them, save for when the opportunity knocks with Mr. Grumpy, who appears to be his favorite target.
He also has his own catchphrase "I think somebody needs a tickle!", but in the episode Farm, he sang "Tickle it Out," with backing from Mr. Scatterbrain. In the US and UK versions, he is voiced by Jeff Stewart and Rob Rackstraw respectively.
- He is a very friendly character who can't resist a tickle.
- In the app released in 2014, Mr. Chatterbox, Mr. Nosey, Mr. Busy, Mr. Silly, and Mr. Rush cameo although they were all published after his book.
- He is one of the eleven orange characters. The other ten being Mr. Topsy-Turvy, Mr. Clever, Mr. Cheerful, Little Miss Late, Little Miss Greedy, Little Miss Fickle, Little Miss Contrary, Little Miss Curious, Little Miss Fun, and Little Miss Fabulous.
- He is only angry in Little Miss Trouble (TV and book).
- In Mr. Men and Little Miss, he is first seen in The Joke is On Little Miss Naughty.
- He made a cameo on an episode of Mike & Molly along with Mr. Messy as plush toys.
- In the 1970s and 1980s series', the sound he makes when tickling people sounds like a high pitched flute sound, but in Mr. Grumpy's episode, it was high pitched piano keys.
- Mr. Tickle is seen with a green hat in Mr. Cheerful and Little Miss Somersault, possibly because they came from France originally. All of the French Mr. Men and Little Miss books show him with a green hat (except Little Miss Yes/Madame Oui)
- His theme song is known as Tickly, Tickly, Tickly Scream!
The Mr. Men Show
- First Appearance: Physical (Speaking)
- His 2008 design resembles Mr. Cheerful's design.
- He is one of the four orange characters. The other three being Mr. Small, Miss Curious, and Miss Calamity.
- Mr. Tickle's favorite part of tickling is tickling the soles of the characters feet so they can wiggle their toes.
- He has ticklish feet himself.
- He is one of the twelve characters with a non-visible nose. The other eleven being Mr. Small, Mr. Noisy, Mr. Strong, Little Miss Daredevil, Mr. Messy, Little Miss Chatterbox, Mr. Bounce, Mr. Happy, Mr. Bump, Mr. Tall, and Little Miss Bossy.
- He didn't believe that Mr. Rude was a rude character (an exception was made in Dining Out), but he was 1 out of 7 "Angry Heads" shouting "Mr. Rude!!!!"
- This was possibly done for ironic humor.
- He was proud of Mr. Rude who farted for them to save the spaceship from the Alien Space Pirates.
- His arms are accidentally tied up on a tree in Snow and with Mr. Rude in Superstore and with a gift in gifts and in the UK opening cinematic by Miss Naughty which she knows knots easily.
- In Camping, while Mr. Nervous is singing a song he tickles everybody.
- He was seen twice without his hat in Hats and Sun & Moon.
- In The Mr. Men Show, Particularly in Season 2, He is mischievous if he is hurting the Mr./Misses or makes them cry, as long as he tickles them.
- He is one of the characters where that the other Mr. Men and Little Misses (except Mr. Bump, Mr. Nervous, Mr. Lazy, Mr. Fussy, Mr. Bounce, Mr. Grumpy, Mr. Quiet, Mr. Rude, Mr. Stubborn, Miss Bossy, Miss Naughty, Miss Scary, Miss Whoops and Miss Calamity) don't mind a tickle from him.
- He has been seen with all characters (except Mr. Tall if you are not including the 1995 series and Mr. Tall's book)
- He has sung Tickle it out three times in the series (Farm, Dining Out, Arts and Crafts).
- He blew bubbles of Mr. Nervous, Mr. Grumpy and himself. In fact, one of himself tickled him.
- He either thinks tickling is boring unless he can stretch his arms, or his tickles don't tickle unless his arms are long.
- The only time he didn't want to tickle anyone was in Night after being scared at seeing Mr. Stubborn as a werewolf. This was also the case in the 1995 cartoon episode Little Miss Sunshine Brings A Smile, as the cold weather put him out of the mood for tickling.
- He hasn't been told to be quiet by Mr. Noisy, it is unknown if he does though.
- He mostly hangs out with Miss Calamity and Miss Scary (Sightseeing, Parade).
- In the original US broadcast of The Mr. Men Show, his catchphrase is heard in the Chorion Logo.
See Counterparts Wiki.
Episodes Where Mr. Tickle tickled People
This is the list of episodes where Mr. Tickle tickled.
- Opening Theme- Mr. Strong, Miss Whoops, Mr. Nervous (UK Only), Miss Helpful (Season 1 only).
- Physical - Miss Chatterbox.
- Boo-Boos - Mr. Bump.
- Farm - Cows and Mr. Grumpy.
- Mall - Mr. Lazy.
- Inventions - Mr. Persnickety, Miss Calamity, and Mr. Bounce.
- Canned Goods - Mr. Bump and Miss Whoops.
- Jobs - Mr. Persnickety.
- Chores - Miss Calamity.
- Food - Miss Naughty.
- Bugs - Miss Calamity.
- Parade - Miss Calamity and Miss Scary.
- Games - Mr. Noisy and Mr. Persnickety.
- Superstore - Miss Calamity and Mr. Rude.
- Hotel - Mr. Grumpy.
- Dance - Mr. Bump, Miss Whoops and characters
- Sightseeing - Mr. Bounce.
- Circus - Mr. Persnickety.
- Ships - Miss Helpful, Mr. Grumpy, Miss Sunshine, Mr. Bump, Miss Scary, Mr. Nosy, and Mr. Messy.
- Driving - Mr. Fussy and Mr. Nervous.
- Outer Space - Miss Helpful and Mr. Bump.
- Clean Teeth - Miss Chatterbox and Mr. Grumpy.
- Shoes - Mr. Grumpy
- Arts and Crafts - Miss Giggles and Mr. Scatterbrain.
- Game Shows - Mr. Bump.
- Garages - Mr. Quiet.
- Eyeglasses - Mr. Scatterbrain.
- Toys - Mr. Fussy
- Reptiles - Mr. Nervous.
- Hats - Miss Sunshine, Mr. Nosy, Mr. Small and Mr. Grumpy.
- Up and Down - Miss Chatterbox, Mr. Happy, Miss Helpful and Mr. Scatterbrain.
- Dining Out - Mr. Grumpy
- Gifts - Mr. Grumpy and Mr. Strong.
- Sun and Moon - Mr. Bump and Mr. Strong.
- Telephone - Miss Daredevil and Mr. Bump.
- Seashore - Miss Chatterbox and Mr. Messy.
- Sneezes & Hiccups - Mr. Fussy.
- Fruit - Mr. Lazy and Mr. Bump.
- Skyscrapers - Mr. Grumpy.
- Cinema - Mr. Bump.
- Getting Around - Mr. Grumpy.
- Clocks - Mr. Bump.
- Post Office - Mr. Bump.
- Dance, Dance, Dance - Mr. Grumpy.
- Library - Miss Helpful and Mr. Bump.
- Pirates - Mr. Rude.
- Goo - Mr. Scatterbrain and Mr. Grumpy.
- Trains and Planes - Miss Sunshine, Miss Whoops, Mr. Scatterbrain, and Mr Grumpy.
- Birds - Mr. Bump.
- Sand and Surf - Miss Chatterbox, Mr. Bump, Mr. Nervous, and A Seagull.
- Travel - Miss Sunshine.
- Bad Weather - Mr. Fussy.
- Pests - Mr. Stubborn and Mr. Bump
- Couldn't agree more! (Physical, First line)
- I think somebody needs a tickle (Almost every episode and the Chorion logo in US prints.)
- I think you have to tickle milk out of a cow. (Farm)
- I don't think even a tickle would help right now! (Night)
- I wonder what happens when you tickle these controls? (Telephone)
- Mr. Bump! Wait! I have plenty of tickles left in me! (Pests, Last line)
- Mr Messy told Mr. Bump, I will tickle them.
- Somebody needs a tickle! (Every episode)
Artwork from the Mr. Men Show
The Mr. Men Show model sheets
|The Mr. Men Show Characters|
|Season 1 Characters|
Little Miss Sunshine • Little Miss Naughty • Little Miss Scary • Mr. Lazy • Mr. Nervous • Mr. Messy • Mr. Quiet • Mr. Stubborn • Little Miss Helpful • Mr. Bounce • Mr. Small • Little Miss Chatterbox • Mr. Per(s)nickety (Mr. Fussy in Season 2) • Mr. Grumpy • Mr. Nosey • Mr. Scatterbrain • Mr. Happy • Mr. Bump • Mr. Rude • Little Miss Whoops • Mr. Noisy • Little Miss Calamity (Season 1 Only) • Little Miss Daredevil • Mr. Strong • Mr. Tickle