- "You didn't know there was such a thing as a tickle did you? Well... Well there is. Tickles are small, and round, and they have arms, that stretch and stretch and stretch! Extraordinary long arms!"
- — The Narrator, Mr. Men (1974)
- "I think somebody needs a tickle"
- — Mr. Tickle, The Mr. Men Show
10 August 1971
The story was originally based on this question by his son, Adam Hargreaves, who asked what a tickle would look like.
- 1 About Him
- 2 Story
- 3 History
- 4 International publications & translations
- 5 List of characters
- 6 Title character other appearances
- 7 The Mr. Men Show
- 8 Trivia
- 9 Episodes Where Mr. Tickle tickled People
- 10 Quotes
- 11 Gallery
- 12 External links
- Colour: Orange
- Shape: Round
- Gender: Male
- Hair: None
- Family: None
- Species: Shape
- Personality: Boisterous, Noisy, Energetic, Cheerful, Unruly, Disorderly, Disruptive, Hard to Discipline, Uncontrollable, Amused, Fun-seeking
- Friends: Mr. Bump, Mr. Strong, Mr. Scatterbrain, Little Miss Chatterbox, Mr. Grumpy (one-sided), Little Miss Giggles.
- Rivals: Little Miss Trouble, Little Miss Scary, Little Miss Bad, Mr. Grumpy (one-sided).
- Loves: Everything
- Likes: Tickling, making people happy, biscuits (as shown in his story).
- Dislikes: Getting his arms tangled up, not tickling, onions (because they make him cry), getting tickled, darkness, Little Miss Scary, ants (revealed in Bugs)
- Job: Tickling people
- Features: Blue bowler hat and long arms
- Residence: Happyland (book series), Dillydale (2008 show only)
- Nationality: Irish (UK) Tamachi-American (US) Italian-American (Unknown)
- Voice Actors: Arthur Lowe (1975-1978), John Alderton (1983), Gordon Peters (Mr. Men and Little Miss, UK), Len Carlson (Mr. Men and Little Miss, US dub), Paul Bandey (Emme/Hyptinque software series, circa 2003), Jeff Stewart (The Mr. Men Show, US), Rob Rackstraw (The Mr. Men Show, UK dub)
Mr. Tickle's story begins in his bedroom. He wakes up in his bed and has a quick bite to eat, using his extraordinarily long arms to get a cookie from the kitchen and go back to eat it.
He then decides that it is a great day to go tickling, so he goes out to town tickling people - a teacher, a policeman, a greengrocer, a station guard, a doctor, a butcher and a postman and many more. He causes a lot of chaos in the process of doing this.
Mr. Tickle goes back to his home at the end of the day to reflect upon and laugh about all the people he tickled. The book ends with a good warning that Mr. Tickle could be lurking around anywhere, even your doorway, waiting to tickle you all.
The character of Mr. Tickle was created when a 6-year-old Adam Hargreaves, asked, "What does a tickle look like?" Like all Mr. Men, Mr. Tickle has a simplistic look. He is orange with long wiggly arms and a small blue hat.
He appeared in Mr. Men and Little Miss in the first episode.
In 2001, for the 30th anniversary of the Mr. Men, Mr. Tickle's book was released as a collector's edition hardback. It included a foreword from Adam Hargreaves.
His appearance changed in The Mr. Men Show, but changed back to the original one afterwards.
International publications & translations
Mr. Tickle appears under the titles:
- Monsieur Chatouille (French)
- Don Cosquillas (Spanish)
- Mr. Goglais (Welsh)
- Unser Herr Killekille (German)
- Meneertje Kietel (Dutch)
- Ο Κύριος Γαργαλίτσας (Greek)
- 搔癢先生 (Taiwan)
- 간지럼씨 (Korean)
- Fætter Kilderik (Danish)
- Gubben Killekill (Swedish)
- מר דיגידוג (Hebrew)
- Mr. Csiki (Hungarian)
- Mr. Pessigolles (Catalan)
- Mr. Dinglis (Irish)
- Signor Solletico (Italian)
- コチョコチョくん (Japanese)
- Domnul Gâdilici (Romanian)
- Мистер Щекатун (Russian)
- Herr Kilefant (Norwegian)
- Senhor Cócegas (Portuguese)
- السيد داغداغ (Alsayyed Daghdagh) (Arabic)
- Pan Łaskotkiewicz (Polish)
- คุณล้อเล่น (Thai)
- Gospоdin Golicavko (Господин Голицавко) (Serbian)
- Mali Žgečkljav (Slovenian)
List of characters
This is a list of Mr. Men, Little Miss and other special characters that appear in this book.
Title character other appearances
This is a list of other books that the title character has appeared in.
- Mr. Grumpy
- Mr. Tall (was a notable character)
- Mr. Slow
- Mr. Brave
- Mr. Cheerful (With a green hat)
- Mr. Marvelous
- Mr. No (With a green hat)
- Little Miss Trouble
- Little Miss Shy
- Little Miss Scatterbrain
- Little Miss Contrary
- Little Miss Somersault (With a green hat again)
- Little Miss Yes (With a green hat for the last time)
- Little Miss Magic
- Little Miss Sparkle
- Mr. Tickle and the Dragon (A book with him as the star)
- Mr. Tickle In a Tangle (A book with him as the star)
- The Joke Is On Little Miss Naughty (TV) (was seen with Mr. Tall)
- Mr. Funny Puts on a Show (TV)
- Little Miss Sunshine Brings A Smile (TV)
- Mr. Bounce Finds Paradise (TV) (was with Mr. Tall again)
- Mr. Tickle Saves The Day (TV) (His own episode of the 1995 cartoon)
- Mr. Cheerful Doffs His Hat (TV)
- A Very Happy Day For Mr. Happy (TV) (Cameo)
- Mr. Chatterbox and the Parrot (TV) (Cameo)
- Mr. Noisy the Music Man (TV) (Cameo)
- Little Miss Helpful Goes To The Fair (TV)
- Mr. Clever Flies His Kite (TV)
- Mr. Bump Has an Accident (TV)
- Mr. Small Finds a Job (TV)
- Little Miss Shy Goes to the Fair (TV)
- Mr. Jelly Goes Time Travelling (TV)
- Mr. Skinny's Incredible Bet (TV)
- Little Miss Late Beats Them All (TV) (with Mr. Tall for the fourth time, counting Mr. Tall's book)
- The Christmas Letter (TV) (Cameo)
- Physical (TV)
- Boo-Boos (TV)
The Mr. Men Show
In The Mr. Men Show, Mr. Tickle remains relatively the same in looks, he kept his orange colour and blue bowler hat but his shape has changed to a circle and is smaller. His arms are now of a normal size (but can stretch out when needed) and his hat has an aqua ribbon around it and is floating above his head.
He however, tickles other Mr. Men and Little Misses due to the absence of humans in Dillydale. As far as character traits goes, he is still determined to tickle everyone he interacts with, but instead of doing it for mischief, he does it to make people happy and will stop when nobody wants him to tickle them, save for when the opportunity knocks with Mr. Grumpy, who appears to be his favorite target.
He also has his own catchphrase "I think somebody needs a tickle!", but in the episode Farm, he sang "Tickle it Out," with backing from Mr. Scatterbrain. In the US and UK versions, he is voiced by Jeff Stewart and Rob Rackstraw respectively.
- He is a very friendly character who can't resist a tickle.
- In the app released in 2014, Mr. Chatterbox, Mr. Nosey, Mr. Busy, Mr. Silly, and Mr. Rush cameo although they were all published after his book.
- In Mr. Men and Little Miss, he is first seen in The Joke is On Little Miss Naughty.
- He made a cameo on an episode of Mike & Molly along with Mr. Messy as plush toys.
- In the 1970s and 1980s series', the sound he makes when tickling people sounds like a high pitched flute sound, but in Mr. Grumpy's episode, it was high pitched piano keys.
- Mr. Tickle is seen with a green hat in Mr. Cheerful and Little Miss Somersault, possibly because they came from France originally. All of the French Mr. Men and Little Miss books show him with a green hat (except Little Miss Yes/Madame Oui)
- His theme song is known as Tickly, Tickly, Tickly Scream!
- His arms are 20 bananas long. Which is about 11 feet, 8 inches.
- His book was initially rejected by UK publishers until Fabbri book picked it up in 1971.
The Mr. Men Show trivia
- First appearance: Physical
- His 2008 design resembles Mr. Cheerful's design.
- Mr. Tickle has ticklish feet.
- "Amusement Park" was the first time another character tickled him, being Mr. Grumpy. He was ticked by a bubble version of himself in "Bath and Bubbles".
- His arms have been tied up several times, such as in the UK version of the opening sequence when Little Miss Naughty tied up his arms.
- He was seen twice without his hat in Hats and Sun & Moon.
- The only time he didn't want to tickle anyone was in Night after being scared at seeing Mr. Stubborn as a werewolf. This was also the case in the 1995 cartoon episode Little Miss Sunshine Brings A Smile, as the cold weather put him out of the mood for tickling.
- In the original US broadcast of The Mr. Men Show, his catchphrase is heard in the Chorion logo.
See Counterparts Wiki.
Episodes Where Mr. Tickle tickled People
This is the list of episodes where Mr. Tickle tickled.
- Opening Theme- Mr. Strong, Miss Whoops, Mr. Nervous (UK Only), Miss Helpful (Season 1 only).
- Physical - Miss Chatterbox.
- Boo-Boos - Mr. Bump.
- Farm - Cows and Mr. Grumpy.
- Mall - Mr. Lazy.
- Inventions - Mr. Persnickety, Miss Calamity, and Mr. Bounce.
- Canned Goods - Mr. Bump and Miss Whoops.
- Jobs - Mr. Persnickety.
- Chores - Miss Calamity.
- Food - Miss Naughty.
- Bugs - Miss Calamity.
- Parade - Miss Calamity and Miss Scary.
- Games - Mr. Noisy and Mr. Persnickety.
- Superstore - Miss Calamity and Mr. Rude.
- Hotel - Mr. Grumpy.
- Dance - Mr. Bump, Miss Whoops and characters
- Sightseeing - Mr. Bounce.
- Circus - Mr. Persnickety.
- Ships - Miss Helpful, Mr. Grumpy, Miss Sunshine, Mr. Bump, Miss Scary, Mr. Nosy, and Mr. Messy.
- Driving - Mr. Fussy and Mr. Nervous.
- Outer Space - Miss Helpful and Mr. Bump.
- Clean Teeth - Miss Chatterbox and Mr. Grumpy.
- Shoes - Mr. Grumpy
- Arts and Crafts - Miss Giggles and Mr. Scatterbrain.
- Game Shows - Mr. Bump.
- Garages - Mr. Quiet.
- Eyeglasses - Mr. Scatterbrain.
- Toys - Mr. Fussy
- Reptiles - Mr. Nervous.
- Hats - Miss Sunshine, Mr. Nosy, Mr. Small and Mr. Grumpy.
- Up and Down - Miss Chatterbox, Mr. Happy, Miss Helpful and Mr. Scatterbrain.
- Dining Out - Mr. Grumpy
- Gifts - Mr. Grumpy and Mr. Strong.
- Sun and Moon - Mr. Bump and Mr. Strong.
- Telephone - Miss Daredevil and Mr. Bump.
- Seashore - Miss Chatterbox and Mr. Messy.
- Sneezes & Hiccups - Mr. Fussy.
- Fruit - Mr. Lazy and Mr. Bump.
- Skyscrapers - Mr. Grumpy.
- Cinema - Mr. Bump.
- Getting Around - Mr. Grumpy.
- Clocks - Mr. Bump.
- Post Office - Mr. Bump.
- Dance, Dance, Dance - Mr. Grumpy.
- Library - Miss Helpful and Mr. Bump.
- Pirates - Mr. Rude.
- Goo - Mr. Scatterbrain and Mr. Grumpy.
- Trains and Planes - Miss Sunshine, Miss Whoops, Mr. Scatterbrain, and Mr Grumpy.
- Birds - Mr. Bump.
- Sand and Surf - Miss Chatterbox, Mr. Bump, Mr. Nervous, and A Seagull.
- Travel - Miss Sunshine.
- Bad Weather - Mr. Fussy.
- Pests - Mr. Stubborn and Mr. Bump
- Couldn't agree more! (Physical, First line)
- I think somebody needs a tickle! (Almost every episode and the Chorion logo in US prints.)
- I think you have to tickle milk out of a cow. (Farm)
- I don't think even a tickle would help right now! (Night)
- I wonder what happens when you tickle these controls? (Telephone)
- Mr. Bump! Wait! I have plenty of tickles left in me! (Pests, Last line)
- Mr. Messy told Mr. Bump, I will tickle them.
- Somebody needs a tickle! (Every episode)
Artwork from the Mr. Men Show
The Mr. Men Show model sheets
|The Mr. Men Show Characters|
|Season 1 Characters|
Little Miss Sunshine • Little Miss Naughty • Little Miss Scary • Mr. Lazy • Mr. Nervous • Mr. Messy • Mr. Quiet • Mr. Stubborn • Little Miss Helpful • Mr. Bounce • Mr. Small • Little Miss Chatterbox • Mr. Per(s)nickety (Mr. Fussy in Season 2) • Mr. Grumpy • Mr. Nosey • Mr. Scatterbrain • Mr. Happy • Mr. Bump • Mr. Rude • Little Miss Whoops • Mr. Noisy • Little Miss Calamity (Season 1 Only) • Little Miss Daredevil • Mr. Strong • Mr. Tickle